10 kids killed in Afghanistan bomb blast
Kabul: At least 10 children were killed and two wounded Monday when a bomb went off in Afghanistan`s Nangarhar province, police said.
"The innocent children were collecting firewood in Salozai area of Chaparhar district at around 9 a.m. when one of them stepped on a bomb, triggering a powerful blast," police spokesman in the province Hazrat Housain Mashriqiwal told Xinhua.
He said all the dead children were girls aged from eight to 12 years and that the injured was a boy in a critical condition.
Nangarhar province is 120 km east of capital city of Kabul.
The police official blamed Taliban insurgents for planting the bomb in the area to target security forces.
Taliban militants, who have been waging an insurgency of more than one decade, have often attacked the Afghan force and the NATO-led force with roadside bombs.
The Taliban have not yet commented.
A total of 967 Afghan civilians, including 355 children, were killed and 1,590 injured in conflicts from August 1 to October 31 in the insurgency-hit country, according to a UN quarterly report released Friday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed