10 killed in Pakistan suicide bombing
Islamabad: At least 10 people were killed and over 20 others injured in a suicide bombing at a Muharram procession in Pakistan`s northern city of Rawalpindi Wednesday night, media reports said.
The blast took place around 11.40 pm when the procession by Shia Muslims was passing through Misrial road area of the city, Xinhua reported citing state-run PTV channel.
Geo News said the suicide bomber entered into the Muharram procession near the Qasr-e-Shabbir Imambargah in Dhok Sayidan area of the city, and detonated the explosives strapped to his body.
There were an estimated 1,500 people, including women and children, in the procession.
Several vehicles and nearby houses were damaged in the blast.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Witnesses said there was inadequate security during the procession, giving a chance to the bomber to sneak in without being checked by police.
The injured include traffic wardens who were on duty near the blast site.
The blast occurred just hours after twin bombings near an Imambargah in Karachi killed two people and left 16 others wounded.
Muharram is the first month of the Islamic calendar, during which Shia Muslims gather every night in a shrine to commemorate the death of Hussian Ibn-e-Ali, the grandson of Prophet Mohammad, who was killed in a war with anti-Islam elements 1,300 years ago.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Pervez Ashraf have condemned the blast, and directed medical officials to provide the best treatment to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly