10 Sri Lankan prez guards jailed for attacking Sinhalese couple
Colombo: Ten Sri Lankan security personnel, who had served in the elite presidential security division, were on Thursday sentenced to four and a half years in jail and fined for attacking a Sinhalese singer couple in 2000.
The High Court in Panadura sentenced nine of the 10 accused to four and half years of rigorous imprisonment while an accused, who is disabled, received a four-and-half-year sentence of simple imprisonment.
The convicts were also ordered to pay rupee 2 million as compensation to the victims.
Rukantha Gunathilake and Chandraleka Perera, both Sinhala pop musicians and singers, had their Colombo suburb home attacked by an unknown group in January 2000.
The group assaulted the couple while forcibly trimming their hair.
All the convicts had served in the presidential security division during the rule of Chandrika Kumaratunga between 1994 and 2005.
The victim couple were regular at the political platform of the main opposition United National Party candidate Ranil Wickremesinghe in the Presidential Election held in December 1999.
The attack took place just weeks after Kumaratunga was re-elected after defeating Wickremesinghe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?