10 Sri Lankan prez guards jailed for attacking Sinhalese couple
Colombo: Ten Sri Lankan security personnel, who had served in the elite presidential security division, were on Thursday sentenced to four and a half years in jail and fined for attacking a Sinhalese singer couple in 2000.
The High Court in Panadura sentenced nine of the 10 accused to four and half years of rigorous imprisonment while an accused, who is disabled, received a four-and-half-year sentence of simple imprisonment.
The convicts were also ordered to pay rupee 2 million as compensation to the victims.
Rukantha Gunathilake and Chandraleka Perera, both Sinhala pop musicians and singers, had their Colombo suburb home attacked by an unknown group in January 2000.
The group assaulted the couple while forcibly trimming their hair.
All the convicts had served in the presidential security division during the rule of Chandrika Kumaratunga between 1994 and 2005.
The victim couple were regular at the political platform of the main opposition United National Party candidate Ranil Wickremesinghe in the Presidential Election held in December 1999.
The attack took place just weeks after Kumaratunga was re-elected after defeating Wickremesinghe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video