Dhaka: A massive fire gutted around 1,000 huts in a slum in Dhaka Thursday, an official said.
The blaze destroyed two under-construction buildings adjacent to the tin-shed slum in the capital`s Rayer Bazar area, the Daily Star reported.
The fire was caused by either an electric short-circuit or a gas pipeline leakage around 12.30 p.m., said Brig. Gen. Abu Naim Md Shahidullah, director general of the fire service and civil defence.
Firefighters brought the blaze under control after two hours.
The economic loss could be worth up to 50 lakh taka (around $65,200), he said.