1,000 US troops in Afghanistan costs $1 bn per annum
Washington: Sending 1,000 troops to Afghanistan would cost the US exchequer USD 1 billion per annum, the White House has said, amidst report that the American commanders on the ground have asked for 40,000 more troops for this South Asian country.
"I think the figure that I saw is for every thousand troops per year, it`s a billion dollars," White House spokesman, Robert Gibbs, told reporters at his daily press briefing, adding that no decision has been taken on the sending additional troops to Afghanistan.
In March this year, US President Barack Obama had announced sending an additional 21,000 troops and trainers to the region. But with the Taliban gaining momentum, General Steanley McChrystal, Commander of the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, has sought an additional 40,000 troops.
This if sanctioned, would raise the number of US forces in Afghanistan to more than 100,000; and as per Gibb`s calculation would incur an additional financial burden of USD
40 billion per annum.
Gibbs said Obama would discuss today the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan and also the question of additional resources.
Cost would be a factor when deciding on sending additional resources to Afghanistan, he said in response to a question.
"Well, it`s something we certainly have to be mindful of. We don`t have unlimited money. We certainly don`t have unlimited troops," Gibbs said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information