11 Afghan landmine clearers abducted
Kabul: Unidentified kidnappers have abducted 11 Afghans working in a UN-affiliated landmine clearing program in the east of the country, officials said today.
The 11 were taken Thursday in a remote part of Nangarhar province, said Hazrat Hussain Mashreqiwal, provincial police spokesman. He did not name the abductors but said local officials and tribal elders were trying to negotiate the mine clearers` freedom.
According to the United Nations there are an estimated 10 million mines scattered throughout 150 of Afghanistan`s 400 districts, a legacy of 30 years of war. Children and farmers face the most serious threats from the discarded explosive devices.
Yesterday three children in central Ghazni province were killed when they tried to dismantle an old bomb.
Also today, a bomb killed an intelligence officer at his home in a remote northeastern corner of the country, officials said.
Mohammed Zahir, spokesman for Nuristan`s governor, said the province`s deputy intelligence chief Faiz Mohammed was the only casualty. It wasn`t immediately known how the bomb was detonated.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing but Taliban insurgents have been targeting US-backed government officials, calling them puppets and traitors.
Afghanistan`s intelligence chief Asadullah Khalid was badly injured in a suicide bombing in Kabul in December. The Taliban took responsibility for that attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says