11 Afghan security force members killed in attacks
Kabul: Insurgent attacks across Afghanistan have killed 11 Afghan security force members, authorities said today, as a suicide car bomb attack wounded three NATO troops.
The deadliest attacks happened overnight in Afghanistan`s eastern Laghman province, when insurgents raided Afghan police and army checkpoints in Aliangar district, said Sarhadi Zwak spokesman for the provincial governor. Zwak said the dead from the assault included six police officers and one soldier, while security forces killed 15 insurgents.
In the western province of Herat, insurgents attacked a police checkpoint early this morning, killing one police officer, said Raouf Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial police chief. He said officers killed four insurgents in the assault in Shindand district.
An attack on late Friday on another checkpoint in the district killed three police officers, he said. Meanwhile in eastern Nangarhar province, authorities say a suicide car bomber wounded three NATO troops in an attack last night in the province`s Behsud district.
NATO said the attacker was killed and there were no other fatalities. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. The violence comes during the Taliban`s annual spring offensive.
They are trying to undermine the Western-backed government as foreign combat troops prepare to withdraw by the end of the year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks