11 escape as Taliban attacks aid Afghan jailbreak
Kabul: A smuggled bomb exploded at a western
Afghan prison just as Taliban fighters staged coordinated
attacks on four police checkpoints early today, allowing 11
inmates, including suspected insurgents, to escape, officials
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the
brazen jailbreak in Farah province, saying it had freed
insurgent comrades being held there.
A guard died in the prison blast and one inmate was shot
and killed while fleeing. One police officer was wounded.
The blast appeared coordinated with armed insurgent
attacks on four police checkpoints on the outskirts of Farah
city, provincial police chief Gen Mohammad Faqir Askir.
"Of course this is the work of the Taliban," Askir said.
"We think that the militants were trying to keep authorities
busy with the attacks on the checkpoints while the explosion
He said there was no armed attack on the prison, only
The prison blast came shortly after 2 am, destroying a
gate and allowing 23 prisoners to run out of the building,
Farah province`s deputy governor Yonus Rasouli said. One
prisoner died and three were wounded when guards opened fire
on the fleeing prisoners.
Eight other inmates were recaptured, but 11 escaped.
One guard wounded in the explosion died later, Rasouli
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees