11 escape as Taliban attacks aid Afghan jailbreak
Kabul: A smuggled bomb exploded at a western
Afghan prison just as Taliban fighters staged coordinated
attacks on four police checkpoints early today, allowing 11
inmates, including suspected insurgents, to escape, officials
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the
brazen jailbreak in Farah province, saying it had freed
insurgent comrades being held there.
A guard died in the prison blast and one inmate was shot
and killed while fleeing. One police officer was wounded.
The blast appeared coordinated with armed insurgent
attacks on four police checkpoints on the outskirts of Farah
city, provincial police chief Gen Mohammad Faqir Askir.
"Of course this is the work of the Taliban," Askir said.
"We think that the militants were trying to keep authorities
busy with the attacks on the checkpoints while the explosion
He said there was no armed attack on the prison, only
The prison blast came shortly after 2 am, destroying a
gate and allowing 23 prisoners to run out of the building,
Farah province`s deputy governor Yonus Rasouli said. One
prisoner died and three were wounded when guards opened fire
on the fleeing prisoners.
Eight other inmates were recaptured, but 11 escaped.
One guard wounded in the explosion died later, Rasouli
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing