11 escape as Taliban attacks aid Afghan jailbreak
Kabul: A smuggled bomb exploded at a western
Afghan prison just as Taliban fighters staged coordinated
attacks on four police checkpoints early today, allowing 11
inmates, including suspected insurgents, to escape, officials
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the
brazen jailbreak in Farah province, saying it had freed
insurgent comrades being held there.
A guard died in the prison blast and one inmate was shot
and killed while fleeing. One police officer was wounded.
The blast appeared coordinated with armed insurgent
attacks on four police checkpoints on the outskirts of Farah
city, provincial police chief Gen Mohammad Faqir Askir.
"Of course this is the work of the Taliban," Askir said.
"We think that the militants were trying to keep authorities
busy with the attacks on the checkpoints while the explosion
He said there was no armed attack on the prison, only
The prison blast came shortly after 2 am, destroying a
gate and allowing 23 prisoners to run out of the building,
Farah province`s deputy governor Yonus Rasouli said. One
prisoner died and three were wounded when guards opened fire
on the fleeing prisoners.
Eight other inmates were recaptured, but 11 escaped.
One guard wounded in the explosion died later, Rasouli
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview