11 escape as Taliban attacks aid Afghan jailbreak
Kabul: A smuggled bomb exploded at a western
Afghan prison just as Taliban fighters staged coordinated
attacks on four police checkpoints early today, allowing 11
inmates, including suspected insurgents, to escape, officials
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the
brazen jailbreak in Farah province, saying it had freed
insurgent comrades being held there.
A guard died in the prison blast and one inmate was shot
and killed while fleeing. One police officer was wounded.
The blast appeared coordinated with armed insurgent
attacks on four police checkpoints on the outskirts of Farah
city, provincial police chief Gen Mohammad Faqir Askir.
"Of course this is the work of the Taliban," Askir said.
"We think that the militants were trying to keep authorities
busy with the attacks on the checkpoints while the explosion
He said there was no armed attack on the prison, only
The prison blast came shortly after 2 am, destroying a
gate and allowing 23 prisoners to run out of the building,
Farah province`s deputy governor Yonus Rasouli said. One
prisoner died and three were wounded when guards opened fire
on the fleeing prisoners.
Eight other inmates were recaptured, but 11 escaped.
One guard wounded in the explosion died later, Rasouli
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?