12 die after drinking adulterated cough syrup in Pakistan
Lahore: At least 12 men died and several others were in a serious condition after drinking adulterated cough syrup in this eastern Pakistani city on Sunday, police said.
The men had drunk the cough syrup to get intoxicated, police said.
Doctors at a state-run hospital said the men fell ill as the medicine was adulterated.
Over 20 men fell ill or fainted after drinking the cough syrup in Shahdra Town of Lahore.
Four of them died instantly while eight more died in hospital.
At least seven men were being treated in hospital and several of them were in a serious condition, police said.
Police claimed most of those who fell ill after drinking the cough syrup were drug addicts.
Officials said they had registered a case against several dealers and two stores that sold the syrup.
Bottles of the same cough syrup were found in the possession of the men and the factory where the drug was made had been sealed, officials said.
Several stores were selling the cough syrup for Rs 25 to Rs 40 a bottle, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror