12 die after drinking adulterated cough syrup in Pakistan
Lahore: At least 12 men died and several others were in a serious condition after drinking adulterated cough syrup in this eastern Pakistani city on Sunday, police said.
The men had drunk the cough syrup to get intoxicated, police said.
Doctors at a state-run hospital said the men fell ill as the medicine was adulterated.
Over 20 men fell ill or fainted after drinking the cough syrup in Shahdra Town of Lahore.
Four of them died instantly while eight more died in hospital.
At least seven men were being treated in hospital and several of them were in a serious condition, police said.
Police claimed most of those who fell ill after drinking the cough syrup were drug addicts.
Officials said they had registered a case against several dealers and two stores that sold the syrup.
Bottles of the same cough syrup were found in the possession of the men and the factory where the drug was made had been sealed, officials said.
Several stores were selling the cough syrup for Rs 25 to Rs 40 a bottle, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka