12 militants killed in back-to-back US drone attacks
Islamabad: At least 12 Taliban militants
were killed on Wednesday in two back-to-back US drone strikes on a
terrorist training compound in Pakistan`s restive North
Waziristan tribal region, the fifth such attack in a week.
A drone fired two missiles at the militant training
centre at Sunzali in Dattakhel sub-division of North
Waziristan in the first attack.
Seven people were killed, officials were quoted as
saying by TV news channels. The second attack was carried out
as militants were sifting through the debris of the compound
and pulling out bodies.
At least five militants were killed in this attack.
Reports said two foreigners were among the dead.
Several persons were also believed to be injured in
the two strikes. US drone attacks have focussed on North
Waziristan since the Pakistan Army launched an offensive
against the Taliban in neighbouring South Waziristan in
October last year.
Hundreds of people, including top militant commanders
like Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud, have
been killed in drone attacks since the middle of last year.
Pakistan describes the attacks as a violation of its
sovereignty and counter-productive for the war on terror.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!
- Black money window: I-T dept creates special tab on website
- India's growth may dip by 0.60% on Brexit, predicts Morgan Stanley