13 Pakistani militants killed in North Waziristan air strikes
Islamabad: At least 13 militants were killed on Saturday in air strikes on their hideouts in the ongoing military operation in Pakistan`s North Waziristan tribal region, the military said.
Military spokesman Major General Asim Saleem Bajwa said that the attack was launched after terrorists hiding in Mirali town fired rockets at a security forces check post near the city.
"Air strikes were launched early morning today killing 13 terrorists and destroying seven hideouts. A huge cache of arms and ammunition was also destroyed," he said.
The spokesman also said that most of the terrorists killed in strikes were foreigners but he did not specify their nationalities.
Bajwa said that two suicide bombers exploded their vests after they were chased by troops. They exploded when encircled close to Boya area.
Three terrorists including one Uzbek were also apprehended from Boya.
Separately, two explosive-laden vehicles were destroyed through an air strike at Degan.
Bajwa said consolidation of cleared area in Miranshah? and Miranshah-Dattakhel road continues.
The forces also recovered six prepared motorcycle-borne IEDs, two vehicle borne IEDs, two 12.7 mm guns, one 14.5 mm gun, three vehicles, 11 suicide jackets and huge cache of arms during last 24 hours in Khar Warsak and Zartangi areas.
The military has already taken the control of the main town of Miranshah.
The Army launched Operation Zarb-e-Azb on June 15, days after militants stormed Pakistan`s busiest airport in the southern port city of Karachi.
According to the military, more than 400 militants have been killed in the operation, which also displaced over 800,000 people.
Bajwa said relief operation for displaced people continues at full pace and 96,533 ration packs each of 110 kgs, have been distributed among the affected people.
Army doctors are also helping the injured and so far have treated 12,587 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY