131 arrested in Sri Lanka for illegal migration
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 131 would-be asylum seekers, most of them Tamils, from a fishing trawler for illegally heading to Australia.
109 people with their fishing trawler were nabbed by the Navy 25 nautical miles northeast off the coast of Kalmunai in the eastern province, Naval spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said.
There were 101 Tamils and 8 Sinhalese who were heading for Australia, he said.
Another group of 22 people were also arrested for preparing to leave the country illegally at Chilaw in the west coast.
Sri Lankan authorities last week announced that a three tier programme to curb illegal immigration had been implemented.
Police spokesman superintendent Ajith Rohana said over 400 people have now been arrested since end of May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA