131 arrested in Sri Lanka for illegal migration
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy has arrested 131 would-be asylum seekers, most of them Tamils, from a fishing trawler for illegally heading to Australia.
109 people with their fishing trawler were nabbed by the Navy 25 nautical miles northeast off the coast of Kalmunai in the eastern province, Naval spokesman Kosala Warnakulasuriya said.
There were 101 Tamils and 8 Sinhalese who were heading for Australia, he said.
Another group of 22 people were also arrested for preparing to leave the country illegally at Chilaw in the west coast.
Sri Lankan authorities last week announced that a three tier programme to curb illegal immigration had been implemented.
Police spokesman superintendent Ajith Rohana said over 400 people have now been arrested since end of May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan