14 militants, 4 soldiers killed in clash in northwest Pak
Islamabad: Fourteen militants and four soldiers were killed during an operation against rebels in the lawless Khyber tribal region of northwest Pakistan on Friday, officials said.
A clash erupted between militants and security forces conducting the operation in Tirah Valley of Khyber Agency, part of a strategic route to Afghanistan.
Troops recently stepped up their offensive in the region after the Taliban occupied areas controlled by the Ansar-ul-Islam, a pro-government militia.
Five soldiers were injured and four militant hideouts destroyed in the fighting, security officials told the media.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
Troops have focussed on Khyber Agency in recent weeks as militants have been using the region to carry out attacks in Peshawar and other parts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province ahead of the May 11 general election.
Over 50 militants have died in clashes between the Taliban and the Ansar-ul-Islam.
Tens of thousands of people have been displaced by the fighting in Tirah Valley and nearby areas.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan fighters entered Khyber Agency after security forces launched operations against them in the nearby Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions.
In a separate development, one person was killed and five others, including children, were injured when rockets fired from the tribal belt hit Hayatabad area on the outskirts of Peshawar.
Police officials said four rockets were fired at the city from the tribal areas. One rocket failed to explode, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon