14 militants, 4 soldiers killed in clash in northwest Pak
Islamabad: Fourteen militants and four soldiers were killed during an operation against rebels in the lawless Khyber tribal region of northwest Pakistan on Friday, officials said.
A clash erupted between militants and security forces conducting the operation in Tirah Valley of Khyber Agency, part of a strategic route to Afghanistan.
Troops recently stepped up their offensive in the region after the Taliban occupied areas controlled by the Ansar-ul-Islam, a pro-government militia.
Five soldiers were injured and four militant hideouts destroyed in the fighting, security officials told the media.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
Troops have focussed on Khyber Agency in recent weeks as militants have been using the region to carry out attacks in Peshawar and other parts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province ahead of the May 11 general election.
Over 50 militants have died in clashes between the Taliban and the Ansar-ul-Islam.
Tens of thousands of people have been displaced by the fighting in Tirah Valley and nearby areas.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan fighters entered Khyber Agency after security forces launched operations against them in the nearby Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions.
In a separate development, one person was killed and five others, including children, were injured when rockets fired from the tribal belt hit Hayatabad area on the outskirts of Peshawar.
Police officials said four rockets were fired at the city from the tribal areas. One rocket failed to explode, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj