14 militants, 4 soldiers killed in clash in northwest Pak
Islamabad: Fourteen militants and four soldiers were killed during an operation against rebels in the lawless Khyber tribal region of northwest Pakistan on Friday, officials said.
A clash erupted between militants and security forces conducting the operation in Tirah Valley of Khyber Agency, part of a strategic route to Afghanistan.
Troops recently stepped up their offensive in the region after the Taliban occupied areas controlled by the Ansar-ul-Islam, a pro-government militia.
Five soldiers were injured and four militant hideouts destroyed in the fighting, security officials told the media.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
Troops have focussed on Khyber Agency in recent weeks as militants have been using the region to carry out attacks in Peshawar and other parts of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province ahead of the May 11 general election.
Over 50 militants have died in clashes between the Taliban and the Ansar-ul-Islam.
Tens of thousands of people have been displaced by the fighting in Tirah Valley and nearby areas.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan fighters entered Khyber Agency after security forces launched operations against them in the nearby Orakzai and Kurram tribal regions.
In a separate development, one person was killed and five others, including children, were injured when rockets fired from the tribal belt hit Hayatabad area on the outskirts of Peshawar.
Police officials said four rockets were fired at the city from the tribal areas. One rocket failed to explode, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'