14 militants, 6 soldiers killed in S Waziristan
Islamabad: Fresh heavy fighting erupted in
Pakistan`s lawless South Waziristan after a brief lull, as 14
militants and six soldiers, including an officer were killed
in intense clashes.
Resuming their advance, troops secured several villages
around the Taliban strongholds of Makeen and Razmak as
militants continued their bombing campaign in other areas of
the restive NWFP.
An explosion at the office of an NGO in Peshwar left one
person seriously injured today, though Pakistani officials
said the exact nature of the blast is yet to be determined.
In South Waziristan, Lakki Ghundi, located near the rebel
base of Makeen, was secured "after an intense battle," the
Fourteen Taliban fighters and six soldiers were killed
and four soldiers were injured during the operation.
This was the first major clash reported from South
Waziristan after a relative lull over the past few days.
Troops are currently consolidating their positions in the
region after quickly capturing several key Taliban bases and
However, the Taliban have claimed they have only pulled
back as part of a strategy and are preparing to launch
counter-attacks on soldiers who have moved deeper into South
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- ISRO tells industry to enhance capacity to meet demand
- BJP dares Bihar government to ban VHP meet as Tejaswi Yadav threatens action against Pravin Togadia
- Brexit: Remain or Leave? Results could go down to the wire
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China