14 militants, 6 soldiers killed in S Waziristan
Islamabad: Fresh heavy fighting erupted in
Pakistan`s lawless South Waziristan after a brief lull, as 14
militants and six soldiers, including an officer were killed
in intense clashes.
Resuming their advance, troops secured several villages
around the Taliban strongholds of Makeen and Razmak as
militants continued their bombing campaign in other areas of
the restive NWFP.
An explosion at the office of an NGO in Peshwar left one
person seriously injured today, though Pakistani officials
said the exact nature of the blast is yet to be determined.
In South Waziristan, Lakki Ghundi, located near the rebel
base of Makeen, was secured "after an intense battle," the
Fourteen Taliban fighters and six soldiers were killed
and four soldiers were injured during the operation.
This was the first major clash reported from South
Waziristan after a relative lull over the past few days.
Troops are currently consolidating their positions in the
region after quickly capturing several key Taliban bases and
However, the Taliban have claimed they have only pulled
back as part of a strategy and are preparing to launch
counter-attacks on soldiers who have moved deeper into South
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Turkish troops to stay until Syrian army regains control
- 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa' reintroduced me to entertainment industry: Shamita Shetty
- Cairn tax dispute: India has to respond by Nov on $5.6 bn compensation demand, says CEO
- Vladimir Putin calls ban on Russia's Paralympic team inhumane
- Government should act on its words on Kashmir, says Congress