14 militants, 6 soldiers killed in S Waziristan
Islamabad: Fresh heavy fighting erupted in
Pakistan`s lawless South Waziristan after a brief lull, as 14
militants and six soldiers, including an officer were killed
in intense clashes.
Resuming their advance, troops secured several villages
around the Taliban strongholds of Makeen and Razmak as
militants continued their bombing campaign in other areas of
the restive NWFP.
An explosion at the office of an NGO in Peshwar left one
person seriously injured today, though Pakistani officials
said the exact nature of the blast is yet to be determined.
In South Waziristan, Lakki Ghundi, located near the rebel
base of Makeen, was secured "after an intense battle," the
Fourteen Taliban fighters and six soldiers were killed
and four soldiers were injured during the operation.
This was the first major clash reported from South
Waziristan after a relative lull over the past few days.
Troops are currently consolidating their positions in the
region after quickly capturing several key Taliban bases and
However, the Taliban have claimed they have only pulled
back as part of a strategy and are preparing to launch
counter-attacks on soldiers who have moved deeper into South
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs