14 militants killed in US drone attacks in Pak
Peshawar: In a major strike, US drones fired
missiles at a suspected Al Qaeda hideout in Pakistan`s
volatile North Waziristan tribal region killing at least 13
militants and wounding several others.
The unmanned drones fired two missiles at a militant
compound at Inzar Kalay, 30 km east of Miranshah, the main
town of North Waziristan Agency.
Thirteen bodies were pulled of the debris of the house
and the death toll could rise, security sources said.
At least three drones were seen hovering the area after
the attack, local residents said.
The sources said that most of the militants killed were
"foreigners"- a term used by Pakistani security agencies for
Al Qaeda operatives. The nationalities of the victims or
whether any high value targets were hit was not immediately
This was the first major strike by US drones in the area
since June 11, when the UAV`s fired a volley of missiles to
kill 14 militants.
US drones have repeatedly struck the lawless tribal
region, a haven for Taliban and Al Qaida elements, since a
suicide bomber linked to the Pakistani Taliban killed seven
CIA operatives at a forward base in neighbouring Khost
province of Afghanistan.
Last month, Al Qaida number three Mustafa Abu al-Yazid
was believed to have been killed in a drone strike in North
There have been about 70 drone strikes in North and South
Waziristan this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie