140 buried in Siachen avalanche dead: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday declared 140 people dead who remained buried in an avalanche since last month in the Siachen region.
All those killed have been declared "martyrs" by the Army.
The avalanche struck an army camp on April 7 in the Gayari area of the Siachen glacier, dubbed the world`s highest battleground, where armies from both the neighbours stand eyeball-to-eyeball.
Pakistan has declared 129 soldiers and 11 civilians dead, a news channel said.
"Nature and the magnitude of the calamity is suggestive of no probability of recovering any person alive," Xinhua quoted an army statement as saying.
Rescuers have so far recovered only three bodies of soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers