140 buried in Siachen avalanche dead: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday declared 140 people dead who remained buried in an avalanche since last month in the Siachen region.
All those killed have been declared "martyrs" by the Army.
The avalanche struck an army camp on April 7 in the Gayari area of the Siachen glacier, dubbed the world`s highest battleground, where armies from both the neighbours stand eyeball-to-eyeball.
Pakistan has declared 129 soldiers and 11 civilians dead, a news channel said.
"Nature and the magnitude of the calamity is suggestive of no probability of recovering any person alive," Xinhua quoted an army statement as saying.
Rescuers have so far recovered only three bodies of soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi