140 buried in Siachen avalanche dead: Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday declared 140 people dead who remained buried in an avalanche since last month in the Siachen region.
All those killed have been declared "martyrs" by the Army.
The avalanche struck an army camp on April 7 in the Gayari area of the Siachen glacier, dubbed the world`s highest battleground, where armies from both the neighbours stand eyeball-to-eyeball.
Pakistan has declared 129 soldiers and 11 civilians dead, a news channel said.
"Nature and the magnitude of the calamity is suggestive of no probability of recovering any person alive," Xinhua quoted an army statement as saying.
Rescuers have so far recovered only three bodies of soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?