15 killed in suicide blast in Peshawar
Peshawar: At least 15 people were killed and over 30 injured on Friday when a suicide bomber blew himself up amidst scores of worshippers attending Friday prayers at a Shia madrassa on the outskirts of this city in Pakistan`s restive northwest, officials said.
About 200 men had gathered for the weekly prayers at the Madrassa Hussainia in Gulshan Colony of Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, when it was targeted by the bomber.
The bomber and two accomplices shot and seriously injured a police guard before entering the madrassa from its rear.
The worshippers were listening to a sermon by the prayer leader when the bomber entered the hall and detonated his explosive vest.
Superintendent of Police Shafiullah Khan told reporters that at least 15 people were killed.
Other officials said more than 30 people, including several children, were injured.
At least four injured men were in a serious condition, they said.
Footage on television showed the walls and ceiling of the seminary were pitted by ball bearings packed into the bomber`s explosive vest.
The building`s windows and doors were blown out.
The bomber`s accomplices escaped after the blast.
Security forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation but were unable to trace them.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack on the madrassa.
In a message, Zardari said such cowardly and heinous acts by militants "cannot weaken the nation`s resolve to pursue its struggle against militancy and the fight against this scourge would continue till its logical conclusion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi