15 militants among 20 people killed in Pak
Peshawar: Twenty people, including 15
Taliban fighters and three security personnel, were killed in
separate incidents of violence in the restive Swat valley and
the tribal belt of northwest Pakistan on Wednesday.
Twelve militants were killed when troops backed by
helicopter gunships attacked Taliban hideouts in Samasai and
Ghundo areas of Bajaur Agency, which authorities had claimed
had been cleared of militants following an offensive last
One Frontier Corps trooper and two soldiers of the
Pakistan Army also died in the clashes, sources said.
Troops launched an operation after getting a tip-off
that some militants were present in Samasai and Ghundo areas.
Reports have said that Taliban fighters have
re-entered Bajaur Agency and have threatened the Levies Force,
a local militia, not to conduct operations against militants.
In the Swat valley, militants gunned down two members
of a pro-government peace committee in Charbagh sub-division,
a former stronghold of the Taliban.
The militants armed with automatic weapons fired at a
house, killing the two members of the peace committee
Soon after the attack, security forces launched a
search operation. The troops came face to face with a group of
militants in Kandao area and asked them to surrender.
The militants started firing indiscriminately and
three of them were killed when the troops retaliated.
Weapons and ammunition were recovered from the dead
militants, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre