15 militants killed, 139 held in Pak tribal regions: Officials
Peshawar/Islamabad: Pakistani security forces killed 15 militants during operations in the restive Orakzai and Khyber tribal regions today while 139 suspects were rounded up from different places in the northwest, authorities said.
Fighter jets and gunship helicopters pounded militant
hideouts in Orakzai Agency and killed nine rebels. Eight
militant hideouts in the mountainous region bordering
Afghanistan were destroyed in the air strikes, officials said.
Militants fleeing a crackdown in Khyber and Kurram
tribal regions have taken refuge in Orakzai Agency, sources
Local residents said jets and gunship helicopters
targeted militant hideouts in Yakh Kandao, Dar Kalay, Koi
Kalay, Ghiljo, Dabori and other areas.
In the Khyber Agency near Peshawar, six members of the
banned Lashkar-e-Islam group were killed and four others
injured during a gun battle that erupted while troops were
conducting a house-to-house search in Shalobar area.
Troops also captured 90 suspected members of
Lashkar-e-Islam and seized arms, ammunition and explosive
materials from them.
In South Waziristan, security forces apprehended 36
suspects and seized a cache of arms and ammunition during
search operations at several places in Jandola sector.
Troops destroyed 14 militant-held compounds at Nazar
Khel. Two soldiers were also injured during a skirmish in
Jandola sector, the military said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May