15 militants killed, 139 held in Pak tribal regions: Officials
Peshawar/Islamabad: Pakistani security forces killed 15 militants during operations in the restive Orakzai and Khyber tribal regions today while 139 suspects were rounded up from different places in the northwest, authorities said.
Fighter jets and gunship helicopters pounded militant
hideouts in Orakzai Agency and killed nine rebels. Eight
militant hideouts in the mountainous region bordering
Afghanistan were destroyed in the air strikes, officials said.
Militants fleeing a crackdown in Khyber and Kurram
tribal regions have taken refuge in Orakzai Agency, sources
Local residents said jets and gunship helicopters
targeted militant hideouts in Yakh Kandao, Dar Kalay, Koi
Kalay, Ghiljo, Dabori and other areas.
In the Khyber Agency near Peshawar, six members of the
banned Lashkar-e-Islam group were killed and four others
injured during a gun battle that erupted while troops were
conducting a house-to-house search in Shalobar area.
Troops also captured 90 suspected members of
Lashkar-e-Islam and seized arms, ammunition and explosive
materials from them.
In South Waziristan, security forces apprehended 36
suspects and seized a cache of arms and ammunition during
search operations at several places in Jandola sector.
Troops destroyed 14 militant-held compounds at Nazar
Khel. Two soldiers were also injured during a skirmish in
Jandola sector, the military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog