15 militants killed, 139 held in Pak tribal regions: Officials
Peshawar/Islamabad: Pakistani security forces killed 15 militants during operations in the restive Orakzai and Khyber tribal regions today while 139 suspects were rounded up from different places in the northwest, authorities said.
Fighter jets and gunship helicopters pounded militant
hideouts in Orakzai Agency and killed nine rebels. Eight
militant hideouts in the mountainous region bordering
Afghanistan were destroyed in the air strikes, officials said.
Militants fleeing a crackdown in Khyber and Kurram
tribal regions have taken refuge in Orakzai Agency, sources
Local residents said jets and gunship helicopters
targeted militant hideouts in Yakh Kandao, Dar Kalay, Koi
Kalay, Ghiljo, Dabori and other areas.
In the Khyber Agency near Peshawar, six members of the
banned Lashkar-e-Islam group were killed and four others
injured during a gun battle that erupted while troops were
conducting a house-to-house search in Shalobar area.
Troops also captured 90 suspected members of
Lashkar-e-Islam and seized arms, ammunition and explosive
materials from them.
In South Waziristan, security forces apprehended 36
suspects and seized a cache of arms and ammunition during
search operations at several places in Jandola sector.
Troops destroyed 14 militant-held compounds at Nazar
Khel. Two soldiers were also injured during a skirmish in
Jandola sector, the military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it