17 militants killed in multiple US Drone attacks in Pakistan
Islamabad/Peshawar: After a brief lull,
US drones carried out multiple attacks today on two compounds
of the Haqqani network, an al Qaeda ally and another terrorist
hideout in Pakistan`s restive North Waziristan region, killing
at least 17 Taliban militants, including foreign terrorists.
Up to five drones fired 10 missiles at two militant
compounds in Depan and Amburshaga areas of North Waziristan,
sources said. A journalist based in the region said he had
heard 10 blasts. At least 15 militants were killed in the
attack, sources said.
Reports said the two compounds that were targeted
were being used by militants of the Haqqani network, which is
closely allied to al Qaida and active in Afghanistan.
Earlier in the day, a US drone targeted a vehicle in
which militants were travelling in Datakhel village, 30 km
from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency.
Two militants were killed and as many injured in that
attack, sources said. Witnesses said the vehicle was destroyed
when it was hit by a missile.
The dead men were believed to be foreign militants.
There was no formal acknowledgement of the two incidents by US
and Pakistani authorities.
The second attack was the first reported instance of
as many as five drones being used for a coordinated attack.
Hundreds of people, including top militant commanders
like Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud, have
been killed in drone attacks since the middle of last year.
Pakistan describes the attacks as a violation of its
sovereignty and counter-productive for the war on terror.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi