17 villagers, NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: Seventeen villagers were killed on Tuesday when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in western Afghanistan, and an Afghan soldier opened fire on NATO troops at the airport in Kandahar, killing one soldier, officials said.
In the attack in the western province of Herat, Taliban militants fleeing a joint Afghan police and Army patrol placed a roadside bomb along a village road in an attempt to kill the government troops, local police Lt Sher Agha said.
But the bomb went off instead next to a makeshift vehicle carrying 12 women, four children and one man, killing all of them, Agha said.
In Kandahar, the NATO-led coalition said one of its service members died when a uniformed Afghan soldier opened fire at its troops. The alliance gave no further details.
Slovakia guards the important base in southern Afghanistan, and Kandahar Air Field commander General Abdul Raziq Sherzai initially said three Slovakian troops were wounded in the shooting.
It was not immediately clear whether one of the wounded soldiers had died or whether the fatality was a fourth victim. There has been a string of insider attacks recently, in which Afghan forces open fire on their comrades or international forces.
The attacks threaten to shake the confidence of the two sides as the 2014 target date approaches for the withdrawal of most of the international troops from Afghanistan.
The attacker was taken into custody after the morning incident and was questioned, said Kandahar government spokesman, Javid Faisal.
Faisal said a preliminary investigation indicated the shooting was an accident rather than a so-called insider attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'