18 militants, 3 soldiers killed in fresh Pak clashes
Islamabad: Pakistani forces were close to
overrunning all three Taliban strongholds in South Waziristan
as they killed 18 militants in fierce fresh battles in the
lawless region and adjoining areas over the last 24 hours.
While the Army has taken control of two Taliban hubs
of Sararogha and Ladha, they were battling for full control
over Makeen, which they described as "nerve centre" of
With the capture of these towns, Army would be nearing
seizing almost all the South Waziristan, raising question
marks, whether they will pause or march into North Waziristan.
Declaring that the Operation Rah-i-Nijat (path of
salvation) was being conducted "very effectively", Prime
Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said the Army campaign will be
completed before the expected time frame.
The fighting over the last 24 hours left a total of 12
militants dead and five Pakistani soldiers wounded, the
military said in a statement.
Army also said that large cache of weapons and
ammunition have been recovered as troops in the course of
operations came across tunnels dug deep into the mountainside
to store weapons.
Taliban struck back by attacking an Army check-post in
Torawari village in neighbouring Hangu area killing three
paramilitary soldiers. Troops based in the nearby forts
responded by killing at least six attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- BJP demands probe into role of National Conference in Kashmir unrest
- Black Money: Don't want to be big brother watching, says Arun Jaitley
- China removed missiles from South China Sea islands ahead of UN verdict
- Delhi Police files three chargesheets on Patiala House Court violence
- Govt aims to make India ''tax paying, not tax evading'' society: Arun Jaitley