18 militants killed in US drone strike in Pakistan
Islamabad: Eighteen militants, including some foreign fighters, were killed when US drones targeted a compound of a militant commander believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda in northwest Pakistan Thursday.
Twelve people were also injured when drones fired at least four missiles at the compound in Buland Khel area of Orakzai Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Several foreigners were among the dead, the officials said.
A madrassa was being run in the compound by Maulvi Shakirullah, who has links with a Taliban faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur, officials and local residents said.
The compound is located in an area close to North and South Waziristan tribal regions. Shakirullah`s group is also believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda.
The CIA-operated spy planes have rarely carried out attacks in Orakzai tribal region since the US launched its drone campaign in Pakistan`s tribal belt. This was only the second drone attack in Orakzai Agency and the first was carried out in 2009.
Today`s attack was also the second missile strike since Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan led a large rally against US drones over the weekend.
Khan, a leading opponent of the drone campaign, was barred from entering South Waziristan Agency by the army for security reasons.
The Foreign Ministry lodged a protest with the US Embassy this evening over the drone strikes carried out inside Pakistani territory yesterday and today.
"The Embassy was informed that drone strikes on Pakistani territory were a clear violation of international law and Pakistan`s sovereignty. These attacks were unacceptable to Pakistan," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends