18 militants killed in US drone strike in Pakistan
Islamabad: Eighteen militants, including some foreign fighters, were killed when US drones targeted a compound of a militant commander believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda in northwest Pakistan Thursday.
Twelve people were also injured when drones fired at least four missiles at the compound in Buland Khel area of Orakzai Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Several foreigners were among the dead, the officials said.
A madrassa was being run in the compound by Maulvi Shakirullah, who has links with a Taliban faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur, officials and local residents said.
The compound is located in an area close to North and South Waziristan tribal regions. Shakirullah`s group is also believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda.
The CIA-operated spy planes have rarely carried out attacks in Orakzai tribal region since the US launched its drone campaign in Pakistan`s tribal belt. This was only the second drone attack in Orakzai Agency and the first was carried out in 2009.
Today`s attack was also the second missile strike since Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan led a large rally against US drones over the weekend.
Khan, a leading opponent of the drone campaign, was barred from entering South Waziristan Agency by the army for security reasons.
The Foreign Ministry lodged a protest with the US Embassy this evening over the drone strikes carried out inside Pakistani territory yesterday and today.
"The Embassy was informed that drone strikes on Pakistani territory were a clear violation of international law and Pakistan`s sovereignty. These attacks were unacceptable to Pakistan," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof