18 militants killed in US drone strike in Pakistan
Islamabad: Eighteen militants, including some foreign fighters, were killed when US drones targeted a compound of a militant commander believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda in northwest Pakistan Thursday.
Twelve people were also injured when drones fired at least four missiles at the compound in Buland Khel area of Orakzai Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Several foreigners were among the dead, the officials said.
A madrassa was being run in the compound by Maulvi Shakirullah, who has links with a Taliban faction led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur, officials and local residents said.
The compound is located in an area close to North and South Waziristan tribal regions. Shakirullah`s group is also believed to have links with the Haqqani network and al-Qaeda.
The CIA-operated spy planes have rarely carried out attacks in Orakzai tribal region since the US launched its drone campaign in Pakistan`s tribal belt. This was only the second drone attack in Orakzai Agency and the first was carried out in 2009.
Today`s attack was also the second missile strike since Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan led a large rally against US drones over the weekend.
Khan, a leading opponent of the drone campaign, was barred from entering South Waziristan Agency by the army for security reasons.
The Foreign Ministry lodged a protest with the US Embassy this evening over the drone strikes carried out inside Pakistani territory yesterday and today.
"The Embassy was informed that drone strikes on Pakistani territory were a clear violation of international law and Pakistan`s sovereignty. These attacks were unacceptable to Pakistan," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing