1971 war crime issue was resolved in tripartite pact: Pak
Dhaka: With Bangladesh set to try the 1971 war "criminals", Pakistan has said a tripartite treaty also involving India had resolved the issue for good.
"Pakistan thinks the issue (of war crimes) was duly resolved for good in that treaty (inked in 1974)," Islamabad`s new envoy to Bangladesh, Ashraf Qureshi, told reporters here after a meeting with Foreign Minister Dipu Moni last night.
He said Pakistan`s stance on the issue "remained as (it was) earlier as we abide by the treaty."
Qureshi had also raised the issue during talks with Moni who, however, told him that Bangladesh was obligated to try the 1971 war criminals in line with a major electoral pledge of the ruling Awami League of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, officials familiar with the meeting said.
Asked if the Bangladeshi initiative for war criminals` trial would affect Dhaka-Islamabad ties, the envoy evaded a direct answer, saying "my task during my stay in Dhaka would be strengthening further the bilateral relations."
A Foreign Ministry spokesman said Moni told the envoy that Bangladesh would try its own citizens for war crimes through a fair judicial process, "adhering to highest international standards”.
"She expressed her belief that this will not, by any means, affect bilateral relations with Pakistan," he said, adding Moni also expected the two countries to soon resolve outstanding issues like "formal apologies" by the Pakistan Government for the atrocities committed in 1971, repatriation of stranded Pakistanis and division of assets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation