1971 war: Hasina expresses gratitude to India
Dhaka: Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh
Hasina on Monday expressed deep gratitude to India for its key
role in the country`s 1971 `Liberation War` during a meeting
with visiting Indian Army Chief General VK Singh.
General Singh, who is on a five-day official visit to
Bangladesh, on Monday called on Hasina at her official residence.
The Awami League leader recalled with deep gratitude
the active cooperation of the Indian government, people and
military during the 1971 Liberation War.
Hasina, who mentioned the special sacrifice made by
the Indian army, said such visits would help strengthen
General Singh, who took part in the 1971 Indo-Pak war
that led to the creation of Bangladesh, presented the prime
minister some rare photographs from the historic visit of
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to India and events related
to the country`s independence war.
The top commander, who is here at the invitation of
his Bangladeshi counterpart General Mohammed Abdul Mubeen,
will be the chief guest at the passing-out parade at
Bangladesh Military Academy on June 22 in southeastern port
city of Chittagong.
"This is an honour the Bangladesh Army is offering to
the visiting Indian army chief and 1971 war veteran, General
Vijay Kumar Singh, who also fought for our independence, while
India showed the same gesture when our then army chief General
Mohammad Mustafizur Rahman visited India 13 years ago," an
army spokesman said.
General Singh, who arrived here yesterday, placed
wreaths in memory of the martyrs of the Liberation War at the
Dhaka cantonment on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review