2 more US helicopters arrive in Pak to join flood relief
Islamabad: Two US Marine helicopters
arrived in Pakistan today to join relief and rescue operations
in areas hit by massive floods, the US embassy said.
The two helicopters are part of the contingent of 19
helicopters urgently ordered to Pakistan on Wednesday by US
Secretary of Defence Robert Gates.
The incoming aircraft flew into Pakistan today from
aboard the USS Peleliu, which is positioned in international
waters in the Arabian Sea.
They will join the four US Marine Corps CH-53E
helicopters and one other MH-53E helicopters which arrived
earlier this week at Ghazi Air Base, bringing to seven the
total number of aircraft in Pakistan from the USS Peleliu.
The remaining aircraft will arrive over the next few
days and will include 12 US Marine Corps CH-46 Sea Knight
The US helicopters will operate in partnership with
the Pakistan military throughout the country`s flood-affected
Since August 5, the US military helicopters have
rescued more than 3,500 people and transported more than
412,000 lbs. of emergency relief supplies in spite of bad
Pakistan`s government says more than 14 million people
face direct or indirect harm from the floods. The United
Nations believes 1,600 people have died in the floods, while
Pakistan has confirmed 1,243 deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof