2 soldiers killed, 22 missing in northwestern Pak
Islamabad: Two security personnel were killed and 22 more reported missing after hundreds of Taliban fighters targeted three check posts near the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar on Thursday, officials said.
The check posts in the Frontier Region of Peshawar, which were manned by the Levies militia, were attacked early this morning.
Security officials were quoted by the media as saying that the missing personnel may have been kidnapped by militants.
Security forces launched an operation to recover the missing personnel, officials said.
The attack was carried out by about 200 militants armed with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks but officials blamed the Taliban.
The militants appeared to have come from nearby tribal areas that serve as bases for the Taliban, they said.
The militants took away weapons and vehicles from the check posts.
Two of the check posts were reportedly set on fire.
Reports in the media said about 100 Levies personnel were deployed in the three check posts.
This was the third attack on security forces around Peshawar this month.
Four persons were killed when a group of suicide attackers tried to storm the Peshawar airport on December 15.
Leading anti-Taliban politician Bashir Ahmad Bilour and eight others were killed by a Taliban suicide bomber in Peshawar on Saturday.
In June, 17 security personnel were beheaded after being abducted by Taliban fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM