2004 FM killing: Ex-junior minister to be indicted
Dhaka: A northeastern Bangladeshi court
is expected to indict a former influential junior minister in
the 2004 murder of former finance minister Shah AMS Kibria
who was killed in a grenade attack, officials said.
"We have submitted today the supplementary chargesheet
as the re-investigations found 14 people, including (detained
former state minister) Lutfuzzaman Babar and (militant
kingpin) militant kingpin MuftyHannan involved in the murder,"
seven years ago, a police spokesman said to a news agency.
He said the the Judicial Magistrate Court of Habiganj
accepted the supplementary chargesheet and was expected to set
a date tomorrow for indictment hearing on the case.
His comments came as the Criminal Investigation
Department (CID) of police formally accused the suspects
before a court in northeastern Habiganj, the scene of the
murder and hometown of Kibria, an international bureaucrat
CID officials said their extended investigation into
the case found 14 people, mostly operatives of Harkatul Jihad
Bangladesh (HuJI) operatives, along with Babar to be involved
in the murder.
But, they said they kept the names of the 10
previously accused in the supplementary charge sheet leaving
their matter to be decided by the court.
Of the new 14 accused, nine were already in jail to
face the murder trial as they were arrested in course of the
probe while eight out of previous 10 accused too were in
The high profile leader of the Awami League was killed
in a grenade attack on January 27, 2004 as he was addressing a
public rally at his constituency in Habiganj.
The incident sparked international condemnation but
subsequent police investigations yielded little results. The
Awami League had long been alleging that the past BNP-led four
party regime tried to influence the probe process to save the
"real culprits" also pointing fingers at Babar.
During the subsequent military-backed interim
government, a court on February 26, 2007 ordered a further
investigation into the case as the family members of the
ex-finance minister declined to accept the original charge
sheet through a "na-raji" petition.
They challenged the trial process initiated by the
then BNP-led four-party alliance government.
Babar is also a suspect in several other criminal
cases and await trial at different courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal