2009 SL cricket team attack plotter freed on bail
Lahore: Malik Ishaq, the chief of the
banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, accused of plotting the 2009 attack
on the Sri Lankan cricket team, walked out on bail after 14
years in prison on Thursday to a jubilant welcome by his supporters
who showered rose petals on him.
Ishaq, who was arrested on charges of involvement in
terrorism and plotting sectarian attacks, was released after
courts granted him bail in the case related to the attack on
the Sri Lankan cricket team and six other cases.
A large number of activists of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi,
Sipah-e-Sahaba and Ahl-e-Sunnat wal Jamaat, including
Sipah-e-Sahaba chief Maulana Ahmed Ludhianvi, greeted Ishaq
when he emerged from Kot Lakhpat Jail this afternoon.
The activists garlanded and hugged Ishaq and
distributed sweets among the jail staff and others present at
Rose petals were showered on Ishaq as he drove away
from the prison in a vehicle.
Talking to reporters, Ishaq claimed he was not
involved in terrorist activities and respected the law.
Ludhianvi paid tribute to Ishaq for "facing the cases
and proving his innocence".
He said they would continue to uphold the dignity of
the `sahabas` or companions of Prophet Mohammed.
Besides being accused of masterminding the attack on
the Sri Lankan team in Lahore, police had registered 44 cases
He was also accused of involvement in the killing of
members of the minority Shia community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'