23 killed, 68,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods
Colombo: Twenty-three people were killed and over 68,000 families were displaced in floods in Sri Lanka, an official said Thursday.
Heavy rains lashed for the fifth day Thursday in several parts of the country. Fifteen others were missing, Xinhua reported.
Relief workers were struggling to get aid to the affected people in 11 districts. The navy, army and the police were deployed for relief work.
More than 15,000 acres of paddy crops were damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- DNA: Today in History | 25th August, 2016
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award
- After tribal's walk with wife's body, Odisha launches hearse scheme
- PM Modi pips Amitabh Bachchan, becomes most followed Indian on Twitter
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG