23 killed in Karachi blast, firing
Karachi: Pakistan`s commercial hub of Karachi
was in the grip of violence as at least 23 people were killed
in a blast in a militant safe house and several incidents of
firing by unidentified gunmen following the killing of MQM
activist, authorities said on Friday.
The blast occurred in the suburban Baldia Town area after
a cache of explosives stored by militants in the house
accidentally blew up today, killing eight people, police said.
Two Kalashnikov assault rifles, 22 grenades and two
suicide jackets were found in the one-room house, which
collapsed after the explosion.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters the home
had been rented by a man from the militancy-affected Swat.
Some persons from Swat came to visit this man last night.
Two bodies were dismembered by the blast and all the dead
appeared to be aged between 20 and 25. Two grenades were found
in the pocket of one of the dead.
Two suspects were also nabbed from the scene, police said.
Karachi police chief Waseem Ahmed said the men living in
the house could have been planning a terrorist attack.
Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani expressed concern that the
storage of explosives in a residential area had "remained
unnoticed by the law enforcement agencies" and ordered an
inquiry into the incident.
Separately, at least 15 people, most of them political
workers, were shot dead and several injured by unidentified
gunmen as violence flared up here after police found the
headless body of an activist of MQM, which is sharing power
with PPP in Sindh.
The gunmen targeted people at random in the Garden and
Lyari neighbourhoods in the city, police told TV channels.
Five persons were killed and two injured in the firing
today, Geo News channel reported.
Ten people, most of them affiliated with political
parties, were gunned down in Lyari and adjoining
neighbourhoods yesterday. Two women were among the dead.
The killings fuelled tension in the city and gunfire was
reported from several parts of Karachi as businesses shut down
and traffic went off the roads.
The ruling PPP claimed six of the 10 killed yesterday
were its workers and sympathisers as dozens of protesters
gathered with three bodies outside the Chief Minister`s House.
Violence intensified yesterday after police found the
headless body of Muhammad Aamir, an activist of the Muttahida
Qaumi Movement (MQM), in Lyari. The body bore marks of
torture, a police official said. Aamir had been reported
missing by his family since December 22.
Senior MQM leader and provincial minister Sagheer Ahmed
said Aamir was killed by the same elements who were carrying
out the "targeted killings" of workers of his party.
Incidents of firing were reported from several places in
Karachi last night. The situation took a turn for the worse
after two motorcycle-borne gunmen shot and killed local
councillor Nadir Shah in Pak Colony.
Gunmen also targeted a PPP office in Lyari killing three
party activists. Several people were also injured.
Karachi, the capital of Sindh province, has often
witnessed intense clashes between workers of rival political
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi