‘26/11 accused Lakhvi’s lawyer has fake degree’
Islamabad: Shabaz Rajput, a counsel for LeT
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi who is a key accused in the
Mumbai attacks, is among 57 Pakistani lawyers possessing fake
degrees, a petition filed in the Supreme Court here claimed
on day, seeking cancellation of their licences.
Malik Waheed Anjum, a former president of the Rawalpindi
Bar Association, filed the application in the court of Chief
Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.
The court admitted his plea and asked different
universities and institutions to provide the records of the 57
lawyers by August 31.
The list of lawyers given by Anjum in his application
includes Shabaz Rajput, the counsel of Lakhvi and other
accused in the 2008 Mumbai attacks case.
Talking to media outside the apex court, Anjum claimed
many lawyers with fake documents had left the profession after
tendering apology to the bar association.
He alleged that Rajput was "over-confident and
organising a group to counter the move against fake degree
"Former Rawalpindi Bar Association office-bearer Shabaz
Rajput is so confident because his mother was a brigadier in
the army medical corps," Anjum claimed.
He said authorities should carry out a thorough probe
to trace the ring in Punjab University that allegedly attests
fake documents with genuine stamps.
Rajput had earlier dismissed allegations that he
possessed a fake degree and said that he had submitted
documents and testimonials on the authenticity of his degree
to the court conducting the trial of the seven Pakistani
suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
He had also described the move as a bid to "pressurise"
him to stop acting as counsel for the suspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!