‘26/11 accused Lakhvi’s lawyer has fake degree’
Islamabad: Shabaz Rajput, a counsel for LeT
commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi who is a key accused in the
Mumbai attacks, is among 57 Pakistani lawyers possessing fake
degrees, a petition filed in the Supreme Court here claimed
on day, seeking cancellation of their licences.
Malik Waheed Anjum, a former president of the Rawalpindi
Bar Association, filed the application in the court of Chief
Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.
The court admitted his plea and asked different
universities and institutions to provide the records of the 57
lawyers by August 31.
The list of lawyers given by Anjum in his application
includes Shabaz Rajput, the counsel of Lakhvi and other
accused in the 2008 Mumbai attacks case.
Talking to media outside the apex court, Anjum claimed
many lawyers with fake documents had left the profession after
tendering apology to the bar association.
He alleged that Rajput was "over-confident and
organising a group to counter the move against fake degree
"Former Rawalpindi Bar Association office-bearer Shabaz
Rajput is so confident because his mother was a brigadier in
the army medical corps," Anjum claimed.
He said authorities should carry out a thorough probe
to trace the ring in Punjab University that allegedly attests
fake documents with genuine stamps.
Rajput had earlier dismissed allegations that he
possessed a fake degree and said that he had submitted
documents and testimonials on the authenticity of his degree
to the court conducting the trial of the seven Pakistani
suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
He had also described the move as a bid to "pressurise"
him to stop acting as counsel for the suspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert