26/11: Contempt of court notice to Rehman Malik

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 17:43

Islamabad: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court
conducting the trial of seven suspects in the Mumbai attacks
on Wednesday issued a contempt notice to Interior Minister Rehman
Malik for announcing that a judicial commission would visit
India soon, though the court had not yet decided the matter.

Judge Shahid Rafique of the Rawalpindi-based court issued
the notice in response to a petition moved by defence lawyers,
who contended that Malik had committed contempt of court by
stating in a media interview last month that the Pakistani
commission would go to India within 10 days even though the
court had not decided on the formation of the commission.

During the proceedings conducted behind closed doors at
Adiala Jail for security reasons, the judge directed Malik to
respond to the notice at the next hearing on August 13.

"The Interior Minister told the media on the sidelines of
a SAARC meeting in Bhutan last month that the commission would
go to India within 10 days even though the matter is pending
in the court. The court is yet to decide the issue in the
light of arguments by the defence and the prosecution,"
defence lawyer Shahbaz Rajput told PTI.

"The minister`s remarks have created an impression that
he is controlling the proceedings in the anti-terrorism court
and interfering in them. The integrity of the court has been
affected and the minister`s remarks were prejudicial and that
is why we have decided to protest," he said.

The defence lawyers argued in court that Malik`s comments
had created the impression that the anti-terrorism court and
the Interior Minister have already decided the issue of
sending the commission to India.

The anti-terrorism court is currently hearing two
petitions regarding the formation of the commission to be sent
to India to interview key persons associated with the 2008
Mumbai attacks, including the police officer who investigated
the incident and the magistrate who recorded the confession of
lone surviving attacker Ajmal Kasab.

Legal experts said the issue of forming the commission
would now take a back seat to the contempt of court notice
issued to Malik, which would have to be decided first.

If the court is not satisfied with Malik`s explanation,
the judge could summon the minister to appear in court, the
experts said.

In a related development, the prosecution told the judge
that it wanted to present three witnesses in the case.

The judge said these witnesses could depose during the
next hearing on August 13.

The seven Pakistani suspects, including LeT commander
Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, have been accused of planning,
facilitating and financing the November 2008 attacks in
India`s financial hub that killed 166 people.

The trial has been marred by repeated delays and only one
out of over 160 prosecution witnesses has testified so far.

Shahid Rafique is the fifth judge to hear the case since
proceedings began in early 2009.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 17:22

comments powered by Disqus