26/11: Pak court adjourns trial till March 19
Islamabad: A Pakistani court on Saturday adjourned
till March 19 the trial of LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi
and six other suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai
attacks after prosecution lawyers boycotted proceedings when
they were not allowed to take their security details into the
makeshift courtroom in a heavily guarded prison.
The prosecution team went to Rawalpindi`s Adiala Jail,
where the proceedings are being conducted behind closed doors
for security reasons, with its paramilitary guards.
However, prison officials said regulations did not allow
the armed escort to go into the jail, sources told PTI.
The prison officials said security had been further
tightened at the jail as proceedings in two more high-profile
cases related to the assassinations of former premier Benazir
Bhutto and Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer were scheduled for
today, the sources said.
The prosecution lawyers then boycotted the trial and left
the prison, the sources said.
As a result, there were no proceedings today and Judge
Rana Nisar Ahmed adjourned the case till March 19.
The judge is expected to hear arguments on an application
filed by the prosecution to declare Ajmal Kasab, the lone
surviving attacker, and Fahim Ansari, an Indian terror
suspect, as "proclaimed offenders" or fugitives at the next
It is also expected to take up another application filed
by defence lawyers to oppose the prosecution`s application.
The trial of the seven Pakistani suspects has been marred
by repeated delays over technical matters.
The judge has been changed thrice and only one of more
than 160 prosecution witnesses has testified so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened