27 killed in blast outside Shia mosque in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 27 people were killed and over 50 injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a Shia mosque in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Friday as worshippers were leaving after Friday prayers.
The attacker detonated his explosives in a narrow alley near the imambargah at Pat Bazar in Hangu town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
The bomber struck as worshippers were leaving the imambargah after Friday prayers and people were going into a nearby Sunni mosque, witnesses said.
Hangu district police chief Mian Mohammad Saeed confirmed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
Other officials said they had found the head and body parts of the attacker.
Saeed said the attack had targeted Shias but people leaving the Sunni mosque were also among the victims.
Officials said nearly 20 people were killed instantly and others died in hospital.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hangu, which has a sizeable Shia population, has witnessed several sectarian attacks in the past few years.
Security forces cordoned off the area as rescue teams took the injured and bodies to nearby hospitals.
Eight persons with serious injuries were transferred to the provincial capital of Peshawar, state-run PTV reported.
Footage on television showed several shops near the mosque were destroyed by the blast, their walls pitted with shrapnel.
Police officials said an estimated eight kilograms of explosives were used in the attack.
The bombing created tension in Hangu, which is located adjacent to the lawless tribal belt where several militant groups, including the Taliban, are active.
Schools and markets in the town will remain closed tomorrow to protest the deaths.
On January 10, a twin suicide attack in Quetta killed 92 Hazara Shias the highest toll in a single attack on Shias, who make up 20 per cent of Pakistan’s population of 180 million.
The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, which is linked to al Qaeda and the Taliban, has carried out dozens of attacks on Shias.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared