270 troops killed fighting militants in Pakistan`s tribal belt
Peshawar: A total of 270 security personnel were killed during operations to flush out militants from the restive Mohmand tribal region of northwest Pakistan, a top official said on Friday.
Maj Gen Ghayoor Mehmood, head of the Frontier Corps, said 170 paramilitary troopers of Mohmand Rifles and 100 army soldiers were killed during the campaign in Mohmand Agency, which borders Afghanistan.
He claimed the government`s writ had been restored in the region after successful operations against militant strongholds. Mehmood made the remarks while talking to the media after inaugurating a martyrs` memorial at Ghalanai, the main town in Mohmand Agency.
The terrorists had been flushed out of their bastions and Mohmand Agency was now under the control of the political administration, he said.
The militants, at the behest of their "foreign masters", had challenged the government`s writ and inflicted losses on the tribal people, he said.
Mehmood expressed confidence that the Mohmand tribesmen would continue to support the government`s endeavours for restoring peace in the region and would not allow anti-state elements to strengthen their roots.
He asked the displaced people of Mohmand Agency to return to their homes without any fear as the government has said it will provide full protection to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla