28 militants killed in Pak tribal belt
Peshawar: At least 28 militants were killed
and 10 others injured today when Pakistani fighter jets
pounded terrorist hideouts in the restive Orakzai tribal area
in the country`s northwest, where a fresh military offensive
against Taliban has left over 150 insurgents dead in a week.
20 militants were killed when fighter jets bombed a
terror base set up in a state-run school and dispensary in
Arganjo area of Orakzai tribal agency, official sources said,
adding 10 insurgents were also injured in the attack.
Another eight militants were killed and three hideouts
destroyed when jets bombarded the Anjani area of Orakzai.
Pakistani troops backed by artillery, helicopter gunships
and jets launched a fresh campaign against pro-Taliban
militants in Orakzai tribal agency about a week ago.
The military claims that over 150 militants have been
killed in the offensive but the figure cannot be independently
verified as journalists are barred from reporting from the
Fresh contingents of security forces have reached the
areas, where militants belonging to outlawed Taliban factions
led by Mullah Toofan and Noor Jamal are operating.
In a separate development, police in Hangu district of
North West Frontier Province arrested five suspected militants
District police chief Farid Khan Bangash said
investigators expected the arrested men to make "important
revelations" during interrogation.
Meanwhile, a large number of residents of Orakzai agency
have begun fleeing to Hangu and Kohat districts of NWFP to
escape the fighting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal