28 militants killed in Pak tribal belt
Peshawar: At least 28 militants were killed
and 10 others injured today when Pakistani fighter jets
pounded terrorist hideouts in the restive Orakzai tribal area
in the country`s northwest, where a fresh military offensive
against Taliban has left over 150 insurgents dead in a week.
20 militants were killed when fighter jets bombed a
terror base set up in a state-run school and dispensary in
Arganjo area of Orakzai tribal agency, official sources said,
adding 10 insurgents were also injured in the attack.
Another eight militants were killed and three hideouts
destroyed when jets bombarded the Anjani area of Orakzai.
Pakistani troops backed by artillery, helicopter gunships
and jets launched a fresh campaign against pro-Taliban
militants in Orakzai tribal agency about a week ago.
The military claims that over 150 militants have been
killed in the offensive but the figure cannot be independently
verified as journalists are barred from reporting from the
Fresh contingents of security forces have reached the
areas, where militants belonging to outlawed Taliban factions
led by Mullah Toofan and Noor Jamal are operating.
In a separate development, police in Hangu district of
North West Frontier Province arrested five suspected militants
District police chief Farid Khan Bangash said
investigators expected the arrested men to make "important
revelations" during interrogation.
Meanwhile, a large number of residents of Orakzai agency
have begun fleeing to Hangu and Kohat districts of NWFP to
escape the fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch