3 children killed, 23 people hurt in Afghanistan
Kabul: Two explosions minutes apart rocked a provincial capital in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, killing a child and wounding at least 19 other people.
The young girl was killed and at least 14 other people were wounded in the first blast in front of a bank in southern Lashkar Gah city, said Daud Ahmadi, spokesman for the governor in Helmand province.
Five people, including an Afghan soldier, were injured in the second explosion near a high school, he said.
"Once again, the militants targeted civilians," Ahmadi said.
In eastern Afghanistan, a rocket fired by insurgents early Sunday struck a house killing two children and injuring three men and a woman, the Afghan Ministry of Interior said in a statement. An airport in Behsud district of Nangarhar province was the apparent target of the rocket attack, the ministry said.
On Saturday in a different area of Nangarhar, fighting broke out between militants and Afghan forces.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, said 10 militants were killed and eight others wounded in the 30-minute clash in Sherzad district. One Afghan policeman also was wounded in the fighting, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out