3 children killed, 23 people hurt in Afghanistan
Kabul: Two explosions minutes apart rocked a provincial capital in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, killing a child and wounding at least 19 other people.
The young girl was killed and at least 14 other people were wounded in the first blast in front of a bank in southern Lashkar Gah city, said Daud Ahmadi, spokesman for the governor in Helmand province.
Five people, including an Afghan soldier, were injured in the second explosion near a high school, he said.
"Once again, the militants targeted civilians," Ahmadi said.
In eastern Afghanistan, a rocket fired by insurgents early Sunday struck a house killing two children and injuring three men and a woman, the Afghan Ministry of Interior said in a statement. An airport in Behsud district of Nangarhar province was the apparent target of the rocket attack, the ministry said.
On Saturday in a different area of Nangarhar, fighting broke out between militants and Afghan forces.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, said 10 militants were killed and eight others wounded in the 30-minute clash in Sherzad district. One Afghan policeman also was wounded in the fighting, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah