3 service members killed in Afghanistan: NATO

Three NATO service members have been killed by bombs and insurgent fighting in the south and east, both areas that have seen heavy fighting since 30,000 American reinforcements arrived, NATO said.

Kabul: Three NATO service members have been
killed by bombs and insurgent fighting in the south and east,
both areas that have seen heavy fighting since 30,000 American
reinforcements arrived, NATO said on Thursday.

One service member was killed by insurgents today in
the south and another died in a roadside bomb blast in the
east. A third service member was killed yesterday, also in a
roadside explosion, in the south.

The military coalition did not release details of the
deaths, or disclose the nationalities of the service members
killed.

They are the first three NATO troops killed so far
this month; 55 died in November.

Also today, Afghan and coalition forces detained
numerous suspected insurgents during two security operations
in the south and east.

Yesterday, militants seized 16 Afghan demining experts
in Nangarhar province near the Torkham border crossing into
Pakistan.

They released nine of the deminers hours after the
ambush, but were still holding the seven others, Fazel Wahab,
from OMAR, an Afghan humanitarian group working to find and
dismantle homemade bombs, said today.

PTI

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close