`3 top Taliban militants among nine killed in drone attack`
Peshwar: At least nine insurgents,
including three top Taliban militants, have been killed in a
US drone attack in Pakistan`s lawless North Waziristan tribal
region, considered a stronghold of the Haqqani network.
Missiles fired from the drone targeted a compound and
a vehicle in Dargah Mandi area, several kilometres north of
Miranshah. The compound and the car were destroyed in
Among the nine insurgents killed included Qari Zafar,
carrying a reward of USD 5 million, Bahadar Mansoor, head of
Badar Mansoor group and Rana Afzal alias Noor Khan, sources
According to the sources, Rana Afzal alias Noor Khan
was sought by the police in the suicide bobming on the FIA
headquarters building in Lahore last year.
The area where the drone attack occurred yesterday is
located a short distance from the border with Afghanistan and
is considered a stronghold of the Haqqani network, which
targets US-led forces in the neighbouring country.
Muhammad Haqqani, a son of senior Afghan Taliban
commander Jalaluddin Haqqani, was killed with three close
associates in another US drone strike in North Waziristan on
The US stepped up drone attacks in North Waziristan
after a suicide bomber killed seven CIA operatives at a
forward base in neighbouring Khost province of Afghanistan in
Local residents said the US has carried out at least
15 drone strikes in North Waziristan this year.
The US attacks come as Pakistani security agencies
have captured three top Taliban commanders in recent weeks,
including their number two Mulla Abdul Ghani Baradar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok