30 soldiers, 97 militants killed in clashes in Pak
Islamabad: At least 30 soldiers and nearly 100 militants have died in heavy fighting in a remote tribal region of northwest Pakistan as security forces battled pro-Taliban rebels to gain control of strategic heights, according to media reports on Tuesday.
The battle for the heights in Tirah Valley of Khyber tribal region intensified yesterday as fighter jets and gunship helicopters targeted militant positions.
Reports from the region said the death toll for both security forces and the Lashkar-e-Islam was "very high".
At least 30 security personnel and 97 militants had died in the fighting, military sources were quoted as saying on the website of Dawn newspaper.
The militants were killed in strikes by ground forces backed by artillery and mortar fire.
Lashkar-e-Islam and Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan positions at several places in Tirah Valley were overrun by troops and a fierce battle was continuing.
The militants were putting up stiff resistance since the offensive was launched on Friday, the military sources said.
Security forces had taken their "heaviest toll in one of the bloodiest and most difficult operations in Tirah Valley", unnamed security officials were quoted as saying by Dawn newspaper.
The officials acknowledged that officers, including one from the Special Services Group, were among the dead.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal region.
"Fighting has been heavy on the first two days. Resistance is still there. (But) security forces are making steady progress," a security official was quoted as saying.
The elite Special Services Group has been pressed into the battle for the strategic Tirah Valley, which sits astride the famed Tora Bora mountain range in Afghanistan`s Nangarhar province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka