30 soldiers, 97 militants killed in clashes in Pak
Islamabad: At least 30 soldiers and nearly 100 militants have died in heavy fighting in a remote tribal region of northwest Pakistan as security forces battled pro-Taliban rebels to gain control of strategic heights, according to media reports on Tuesday.
The battle for the heights in Tirah Valley of Khyber tribal region intensified yesterday as fighter jets and gunship helicopters targeted militant positions.
Reports from the region said the death toll for both security forces and the Lashkar-e-Islam was "very high".
At least 30 security personnel and 97 militants had died in the fighting, military sources were quoted as saying on the website of Dawn newspaper.
The militants were killed in strikes by ground forces backed by artillery and mortar fire.
Lashkar-e-Islam and Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan positions at several places in Tirah Valley were overrun by troops and a fierce battle was continuing.
The militants were putting up stiff resistance since the offensive was launched on Friday, the military sources said.
Security forces had taken their "heaviest toll in one of the bloodiest and most difficult operations in Tirah Valley", unnamed security officials were quoted as saying by Dawn newspaper.
The officials acknowledged that officers, including one from the Special Services Group, were among the dead.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal region.
"Fighting has been heavy on the first two days. Resistance is still there. (But) security forces are making steady progress," a security official was quoted as saying.
The elite Special Services Group has been pressed into the battle for the strategic Tirah Valley, which sits astride the famed Tora Bora mountain range in Afghanistan`s Nangarhar province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read