33 go missing as bus plunges into river in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 33 people went missing when a bus with some 55 people onboard plunged into a river while boarding a ferry in southwestern Bangladesh on Wednesday.
"We fear 33 passengers are missing ... Rescue efforts have been launched to retrieve them," district police chief Mohammad Ehsanullah told a news agency on phone.
The 32-seat rickety bus rolled into the ferry and the driver was unable to stop it due to apparent break failure. It broke through the poor safety rope and fell directly into the Rangamatia river in southwestern Barisal, local people and survivors said.
Divers found no body inside the bus, while rescuers feared the strong current in the river near the Bay of Bengal has washed away the victims.
Rescue efforts have also been hampered due to the lack of daylight.
The survivors and witnesses said many passengers, mostly women and children, were sitting inside the bus when it fell off the ferry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights