`350 suicide bombers receiving training in North Waziristan`
Islamabad: A teenage would-be suicide
bomber who was arrested when he tried to blow himself up at a
revered Sufi shrine in Pakistan`s Punjab province on Friday
claimed that up to 350 suicide bombers were being trained in
Taliban-run camps in North Waziristan tribal region.
Umar Fidai, aged 14 or 15 years, was arrested during a
suicide attack on Sakhi Sarwar shrine near Dera Ghazi Khan on
April 3 that killed 50 people.
Umar was seriously injured by an explosion while his
colleague Ismail carried out the attack by detonating his
In interviews to several TV news channels, Umar
claimed up to 350 suicide bombers were being trained in the
Mir Ali region of North Waziristan Agency.
He said Arabs, Uzbeks and Tajiks are among the
militants active in the region.
Despite tremendous pressure from the US, Pakistan has
so far refused to move troops into North Waziristan to flush
out Taliban militants.
It has contended that its troops are conducting
operations in several areas and cannot launch a fresh offensive in North Waziristan.
Umar, who claimed he was a Class 10 student, said his
mission was to strike the Sakhi Sarwar shrine half an hour
after the first attack so that people gathered at the site
could be targeted.
"I was studying in Esa Khel area of North Waziristan.
Once when I was going home from school, Qari Zafar, who was
in-charge of the Taliban suicide squad, met me and told me
that there is no benefit in schooling. I was told that
children who carry out fidai (martyrdom) attacks will go to
paradise," Umar told the media at a hospital in Dera Ghazi
Khan, where he is being treated.
Umar said Qari Zafar had convinced him to join a
training centre so that he could carry out a `fidai` attack
and go to `jannat` (paradise).
"I joined the training center in North Waziristan and
stayed there for five to six months. Two other children
Naeemullah and Ismail were also there," he said.
He claimed he was told the boys would go to
Afghanistan to carry attack as the militants did not strike
"But they brought me to Dera Ghazi Khan. I told
Naeemullah that this is Pakistan but he said these people are
worse than Americans as they bow to human beings in shrines,"
"I refused to carry out attack. But they told me that
the people at the shrine are infidels and we will hit them.
Ismail carried out the attack. Naeemullah left before the
attack. I tried to blow myself up after half an hour but it
did not happen," he added.
Umar apologized to the people, saying he had realized
that he made a mistake by joining an attack that resulted in
the death of Muslims.
"I am ashamed. Allah has given me a new life and I
will not do it again. I will go back my home and will learn.
Suicide attacks are contrary to Islam, which teaches us
unity," he said.
He claimed a commander known as Mullah Sangin Khan was
the chief of the camp where he trained.
Khan was from Afghanistan and is associated with the
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow