36 Indians have miraculous escape in Nepal
Kathmandu: Three dozen Indian pilgrims and their Nepali guide had a lucky escape Christmas day morning when their bus jumped off the road and fell nearly 15 metres while heading towards a renowned temple, police said.
The group of pilgrims from Gujarat had paid a visit to the hallowed Pashupatinath temple in Kathmandu and were going to Janakpur in southern Nepal when the accident occurred, police said.
"According to preliminary investigation, the driver saw a truck coming from the opposite direction and tried to swerve to avoid hitting it," Inspector Angur G.C. told IANS. "In doing so, it fell nearly 15 metres below the road at around 7 a.m."
The pilgrims had a miraculous escape. Only 17 - including six women - were injured. But by afternoon, all were released from the Hetauda Hospital after first aid.
The police officer said only the driver sustained serious injuries.
"It was difficult to extricate him from the toppled bus," he said. "We had to cut through the metal body to pull him out."
Nearly 70 pilgrims from Gujarat had embarked on the tour in two buses. The other vehicle was unscathed.
The pilgrims were scheduled to visit the Janaki temple in Janakpur, where this month the annual Ram-Sita wedding festival was thronged by thousands of pilgrims from both India and Nepal.
From Janakpur, the Indian group was to have exited Nepal to return home via Bihar. Police said further details were awaited.
Nepal`s roads remain one of the most accident-prone in the world. On Friday, five people died when a four-wheeler carrying them fell off the road. On Saturday, a motorcyclist was killed in a head-on collision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in