38 militants killed in air strikes in Pakistan
Peshawar: Pakistani fighter jets bombed
several militant hideouts in the restive Orakzai tribal region
of northwest Pakistan near the Afghan border on Tuesday killing 38
militants and injuring over 30 others.
Twenty militants were killed and 10 injured when
fighter jets bombed a base set up by the rebels in a state-run
school and dispensary in Arganjo area of Orakzai Agency,
official sources said.
Over 150 rebels have died in a fresh offensive against
the Taliban in the restive Orakzai tribal region.
Mamozai is considered a stronghold of the
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. Another 10 rebels were killed and
22 injured when gunship helicopters bombarded compounds of a
militant faction led by commander Nazir in Khwastori area.
Five hideouts were destroyed in the air strikes.
Earlier in the day, eight militants were killed and
three hideouts destroyed when jets bombarded the Anjani area
of Orakzai Agency.
Pakistani troops backed by artillery, gunship
helicopters and jets launched a fresh campaign against
pro-Taliban militants in Orakzai Agency about a week ago.
The military claims over 150 rebels have been killed
in the offensive but the figure cannot be independently
verified as journalists are barred from reporting from the
Fresh contingents of security forces have reached the
areas where militants belonging to outlawed Taliban factions
led by Mullah Toofan and Noor Jamal are active.
In a separate development, police in Hangu district of
the North West Frontier Province arrested five suspected
militants during raids.
District police chief Farid Khan Bangash said
investigators expected the arrested men to make "important
revelations" during interrogation.
Meanwhile, a large number of residents of Orakzai
Agency have begun fleeing to Hangu and Kohat districts of the
NWFP to escape the fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya