38 militants killed in air strikes in Pakistan
Peshawar: Pakistani fighter jets bombed
several militant hideouts in the restive Orakzai tribal region
of northwest Pakistan near the Afghan border on Tuesday killing 38
militants and injuring over 30 others.
Twenty militants were killed and 10 injured when
fighter jets bombed a base set up by the rebels in a state-run
school and dispensary in Arganjo area of Orakzai Agency,
official sources said.
Over 150 rebels have died in a fresh offensive against
the Taliban in the restive Orakzai tribal region.
Mamozai is considered a stronghold of the
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. Another 10 rebels were killed and
22 injured when gunship helicopters bombarded compounds of a
militant faction led by commander Nazir in Khwastori area.
Five hideouts were destroyed in the air strikes.
Earlier in the day, eight militants were killed and
three hideouts destroyed when jets bombarded the Anjani area
of Orakzai Agency.
Pakistani troops backed by artillery, gunship
helicopters and jets launched a fresh campaign against
pro-Taliban militants in Orakzai Agency about a week ago.
The military claims over 150 rebels have been killed
in the offensive but the figure cannot be independently
verified as journalists are barred from reporting from the
Fresh contingents of security forces have reached the
areas where militants belonging to outlawed Taliban factions
led by Mullah Toofan and Noor Jamal are active.
In a separate development, police in Hangu district of
the North West Frontier Province arrested five suspected
militants during raids.
District police chief Farid Khan Bangash said
investigators expected the arrested men to make "important
revelations" during interrogation.
Meanwhile, a large number of residents of Orakzai
Agency have begun fleeing to Hangu and Kohat districts of the
NWFP to escape the fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre