38,127 IDPs left in Sri Lankan relief camps
Colombo: Sri Lanka has settled over 80
per cent displaced Tamils with only 38,127 people left in the
welfare centres which initially had over 2.7 lakh IDPs.
The number of IDP zones has also come down with only
four such zones in the Menik Farm relief village due to the
speedy re-settlement, Sri Lanka`s Chief Coordinating Officer
of the Competent Office for IDPs in Vavuniya Colonel
He said of the 297,000 who had been displaced, more
than 80 per cent have now been resettled. The Government will
resettle another 3,000 IDPs in Karachchi, Kilinochchi by 26th
of this month (July).
Accordingly, three groups will be resettled on 18, 22
and 26 of July. The Sri Lankan Government has worked
vigorously over the last year to resettle people affected by
"In one year`s time, we have achieved a great deal.
If you look at countries in these kinds of situations, it has
taken them 20 years, 30 years," said Minister of External
Affairs G L Peiris.
During a meeting with Minister Peiris on May 28, US
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton commended Sri Lanka on
efforts to resettle IDPs saying, "There has been tremendous
progress and many thousands and thousands of such internally
displaced persons have returned home," she had said in
Meanwhile, An area of 1113 square kilometres, out of
1,474 square kilometres in over 640 villages in Kilinochchi,
Mullativu and Mannar in North has been de-mined, reports
According to the Economic Development Ministry, Jaffna
district has been completely de-mined. Thus, an estimated 1.5
million land mines has been de-mined utilising manual methods
and machinery specially imported for this purpose.
The Ministry of Economic Development has provided 29
flail machines to the security forces for de-mining operations
and 1,050 security personnel are being deployed in de-mining
Eight sniff-dogs have also been used to locate mines
in areas that cannot be penetrated by flail machines, an
official statement said.
In addition, one local and six selected foreign
organisations are also involved in the de-mining activities.
These organisations use six additional flail machines with a
workforce of 2013 persons.
The Government spent SLRs. 2,180 million for de-mining
activities in 2009. It has also conducted 17,654 programmes up
to May 2010, sponsored by the UNICEF to enlighten the masses
about the dangers of land mines.
"The Government hopes to de-mine the rest of areas
in Vavuniya, Mannar, Mullativu and Kilinochchi as early as
possible and resettle people in these areas," the statement
The Ministry of Economic Development is the nodal
ministry for carrying out all infrastructure work required for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception