39 foreigners arrested in Bangladesh over illegal international calls
Dhaka: Thirty-nine foreigners, including five Chinese and 32 Taiwanese nationals, have been arrested in Bangladesh for allegedly offering illegal cheap international calls from an upscale area here, officials said on Monday.
Officials from the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) yesterday raided an apartment block and arrested the 39 foreigners, including seven women, on charge of operating illegal Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
"RAB personnel raided the building and arrested two Bangladeshis, five Chinese citizens and 32 Taiwanese men from capital Dhaka`s Uttara area Sunday night at 10:00 pm," RAB spokesman Habibur Rahman said.
Acting on a tip-off, security personnel recovered VoIP instruments worth about 10 million taka (about USD 130,000) from their possession who had rented a six-storey building for offering cheap international calls, he was quoted as saying in media reports.
He said the arrestees, who were involved in illegal VoIP operation for over one and a half year, would be handed over to police.
The VoIP business has been booming in the country as over 10 million Bangladeshis presently live and work abroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!