39 jailed for violating Ramazan ordinance in Pak
Islamabad: The owners of 39 hotels, canteens
and eateries in Pakistan`s Punjab province were arrested and
sent to jail for violating an ordinance that bars eating and
serving food in public during the Islamic holy month of
Ramzan, officials said on Sunday.
The people were arrested in Faisalabad city for violating
the Ehtiram-e-Ramzan Ordinance, government spokesman said.
The arrests were made during raids conducted across the
city by teams of officials.
The raiding officers drew up `chalans` or chargesheets
against the 39 people and sent them to jail for 72 hours.
Last week, authorities in Faisalabad arrested 25 people
for eating and drinking in public.
The Pakistan government has prohibited eating, drinking
and smoking in public places during the fasting hours of
Ramzan to "ensure the sanctity of the month".
The restrictions were imposed under the Ehteram-e-Ramzan
Ordinance, which was introduced during the regime of late
military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
The Ordinance prohibits serving of foods in public
places, sets closure timings of cinema halls, theatres and
other establishments and directs authorities to take steps for
maintaining the sanctity of Ramzan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in