39 jailed for violating Ramazan ordinance in Pak
Islamabad: The owners of 39 hotels, canteens
and eateries in Pakistan`s Punjab province were arrested and
sent to jail for violating an ordinance that bars eating and
serving food in public during the Islamic holy month of
Ramzan, officials said on Sunday.
The people were arrested in Faisalabad city for violating
the Ehtiram-e-Ramzan Ordinance, government spokesman said.
The arrests were made during raids conducted across the
city by teams of officials.
The raiding officers drew up `chalans` or chargesheets
against the 39 people and sent them to jail for 72 hours.
Last week, authorities in Faisalabad arrested 25 people
for eating and drinking in public.
The Pakistan government has prohibited eating, drinking
and smoking in public places during the fasting hours of
Ramzan to "ensure the sanctity of the month".
The restrictions were imposed under the Ehteram-e-Ramzan
Ordinance, which was introduced during the regime of late
military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
The Ordinance prohibits serving of foods in public
places, sets closure timings of cinema halls, theatres and
other establishments and directs authorities to take steps for
maintaining the sanctity of Ramzan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video