4 dead as activists derail 3 trains in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least four persons died and over 60 injured as opposition activists on Wednesday derailed three trains across Bangladesh as part of their campaign against elections due to be held next month.
Three coaches and the engine of the "Padmarag Express" veered off the tracks in Gaibandha district after activists removed fish-plates from rail tracks in Bonarpara, railway spokesperson said.
Five passengers, rescued from one of the derailed coaches, were in serious condition while 45 others suffered minor injuries, the BD24News website reported.
The accident occurred on the fifth day of a 131-hour countrywide blockade of rail, roads and waterways called by the BNP-led 18-party alliance.
Meanwhile, rail communications between capital Dhaka and Khulna came to a halt as a passenger train derailed in Khulna due to similar sabotage.
At least ten passengers were injured as five compartments of Khulna-bound "Nakshikantha Express" derailed after blockade supporters removed fish-plates near Bejerdanga Rail Station.
Train service between Chandpur and the port-city Chittagong were also halted as three compartments of Intercity Meghna Express veered off the tracks between Shahtoli and Madhuroad.
The BNP and its allies have organised a series of blockades and strikes to push their demand for postponing the January 5 polls. Violence linked to political unrest since October claimed over 50 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah