4 dead as activists derail 3 trains in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least four persons died and over 60 injured as opposition activists on Wednesday derailed three trains across Bangladesh as part of their campaign against elections due to be held next month.
Three coaches and the engine of the "Padmarag Express" veered off the tracks in Gaibandha district after activists removed fish-plates from rail tracks in Bonarpara, railway spokesperson said.
Five passengers, rescued from one of the derailed coaches, were in serious condition while 45 others suffered minor injuries, the BD24News website reported.
The accident occurred on the fifth day of a 131-hour countrywide blockade of rail, roads and waterways called by the BNP-led 18-party alliance.
Meanwhile, rail communications between capital Dhaka and Khulna came to a halt as a passenger train derailed in Khulna due to similar sabotage.
At least ten passengers were injured as five compartments of Khulna-bound "Nakshikantha Express" derailed after blockade supporters removed fish-plates near Bejerdanga Rail Station.
Train service between Chandpur and the port-city Chittagong were also halted as three compartments of Intercity Meghna Express veered off the tracks between Shahtoli and Madhuroad.
The BNP and its allies have organised a series of blockades and strikes to push their demand for postponing the January 5 polls. Violence linked to political unrest since October claimed over 50 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you