43 killed in Pakistan bomb attacks
Peshawar: At least 43 people were killed and over 100 injured in Pakistan on Sunday in different attacks, including a powerful bomb blast that targeted a passing convoy of security forces.
In the first incident, at least 17 people, including four children, were killed and nearly 50 injured when the powerful remote-controlled bomb targeted a passing convoy of security forces near a busy market here in northwest Pakistan.
The blast, believed to be an IED explosion, targeted the convoy of Frontier Corps on their way to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa`s capital Peshawar from Kohat district but narrowly missed it.
Javed Marwat, Deputy Commissioner of Peshawar, said, "17 people were killed in the remote control blast."
In another attack, two bomb blasts near a Shiite mosque killed at least 19 people in southwestern city of Quetta.
The suspected suicide bombing near Abu Talib Imambargah at the Shiite-majority Hazara town also injured over 60 persons.
In South Waziristan, a rocket attack killed four people and injured 15 others while in the North Waziristan tribal region, a roadside bomb killed three security personnel, officials said.
Marwat told reporters that the injured were shifted to Lady Reading Hospital and condition of some of them were critical.
According to police? the bomb was planted in a car and was triggered when the convoy approached was passing through Badaber area of Peshawar.
Bomb Disposal Squad official Abdul Haq said 40-50 KG of explosives were used in the blast, which also destroyed 10 vehicles and several shops.
After the blast gunshots were exchanged between security forces and the terrorists.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif have strongly condemned the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof